Back to Article List
Preventing Senior Falls In The Home
Jul 12, 2018 by Suzanne M. White
One of the biggest risks to a seniors’ health is a fall. This is because falls can be extremely dangerous and lead to serious injury, including fatal and non-fatal injuries. Seniors often find themselves in the hospital due to a fall and depending on the extent of the injuries, they may be in the hospital for a long time. Almost two-thirds of all senior falls happen within the senior’s home. This is scary, especially since many of them may live alone. It is vital that you take time to inspect your loved one’s home and remove any hazards or have a free fall risk prevention inspection done by Comfort Keepers of Flemington, NJ
Below, we will talk about some of the adjustments you can make within your loved one’s home to help them better get around and not become a statistic.
- Install nightlights, especially in dark corners, to provide some illumination.
- Have an easy to use and reachable light source such as a touch lamp.
- Keep all appliances and utensils that are frequently used in plain sight and in an easy to reach spot.
- Install non-slip mats to ensure proper footing in the kitchen.
- Eliminate clutter in the home and in the hallways.
- Remove loos rugs and carpets.
- Install touch lamp and nightlights throughout the hallways.
Comfort Keepers of Flemington, NJ specialists also suggest that you remove any electrical cords that may be on the ground and install hand rails alongside of stairs to provide additional support and balance.
If you are looking for in-home care for yourself, your family, or a friend, contact Comfort Keepers of Flemington, NJ and put your worries to rest. We are dedicated to easing the load of families and friends, while allowing your senior to remain safely in the comfort of their home. For more information about the home care services Comfort Keepers® provides, please call (908) 806-2220 or Toll Free at (908) 806-2220 or click here. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year.