Back to Article List
Health Benefits of Hobbies For Seniors
Feb 9, 2018 by Marc Jeffries
Hobbies are extremely important for your aging loved ones, especially one they enjoy doing. Having a hobby can distract many seniors from their ailments and provide them with many benefits that promote them to stay healthy, active, and happy. There is a variety of hobbies your loved ones can try, whether they are hobbies that can be done alone or with someone else, any type of hobby can delay the signs of aging.
Benefits of Having a Hobby:
- Enhance the Immune System Participating in a hobby, over an extended period of time, can help improve overall quality of life and increase the longevity of your loved ones’ life. From providing a mental distraction from their ailments to promoting an active and physical lifestyle.
- Improve Flexibility This is especially true when participating in a physical hobby, such as walking, yoga, swimming, Tai Chi, or dancing. Physical hobbies can help stretch your loved ones’ muscles which can promote their flexibility over time.
- Improve Memory Some hobbies can help challenge your loved ones’ mind, especially when that hobby is doing puzzles or problem solving. When your loved ones’ minds have mental stimulation it helps to improve their memory and slow down the progression of memory loss.
- Reduce Stress When seniors do something they enjoy their body released endorphins which can help them become less stressed.
- Improve Sleep Quality Being more active during the day, physically and mentally, can improve your loved ones’ ability to fall asleep and stay asleep at night. Many seniors suffer from insomnia, so finding a way to reduce the risk of restlessness symptoms, without the needed help of over the counter medication can improve their overall sleep and health quality.
Let Comfort Keepers® of Flemington, NJ Lend a Helping Hand:
At Comfort Keepers® of Flemington, NJ, we understand you can’t be there for your aging loved ones at all times—that’s where we can help. With our compassionate in-home caregivers, called Comfort Keepers®, we can help your loved ones participate in hobbies that they enjoy. For more information on how our caregivers can help your loved ones enjoy their hobby, and for more information regarding our other in-home care services contact us at (908) 806-2220 or Toll Free at (877) 806-2220 or click here.